All Saints Church
May garlanding 1913 All Saints Church Great Addington. The balcksmiths house can also be seen in the background. Photograph taken by the Rev. Stuart Montulle. Source unknown.
Banner found in All Saints Church in 1991. Suspected to have been used during early to mid-19th century. Image from Brian Duncan collection, c1991
Norman or Early English Porch, 2021
Interior of Porch with stone benches, 2021
East window. 2021
Early Norman external walls now within the church and used as base for the nave pillars when the Church was enlarged and the aisles added in the 13th century . 2021
Elaborate and unusual font dates from the 13th century. 2021
Henry de Vere's effigy. 2021
Traces of original Medieval paint on Henry de Vere's tomb. 2021
History of All Saints
Sir Henry de Vere's Tomb
The alabaster effigy of Sir Henry Vere is not of such a high quality as that of his cousin, the Earl of Wiltshire, who died around the same time and whose tombs is in Lowick church. However, it still shows a lot of fine details and is one of only sixteen alabaster effigies to be found in churches within Northamptonshire.
In addition it has suffered over the years, "having been much scraped and mutilated to provide Vere powders for the children of the village" - according to the 1902 edition of the The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, volume 1.
The knight is shown bare-headed and with the long hair of the time. He wears a standard of mail—epaulieres (armour on the shoulder) reinforced by pauldrons (chest and shoulder armour), a cuirass (a section of armour that covers both back and front) with its lance-rest, tassets (hip and thigh armour), channelled tuiles (thigh armour) and a skirt of chain mail. The coudieres (elbow armour) are of moderate dimensions and the gauntlets, with fingers of leather, have single plates shaped to the back of the hand, and plain cuffs. The wings of the genouilleres (knee armour) are quite small, and the feet, protected by articulated sollerets (ffot armour), rest upon a muzzled bear, and the head upon a helm (the sallet or armoured helmet) from which the crest is gone. The suit here represented is of the period when Sir Henry Vere flourished, and may consequently be taken to represent the harness in which he fought on the field of Bosworth in 1485.
Just underneath the figure traces of the original paintwork can be seen as, with the interior of teh church, this efficy would have originally been richly painted.
The will of Sir Henry de Vere contains this entry :
' Also I will that my tombe be made in our Lady's Chappell, with a vault in the wall of alybaster, and tomb of the same with a Picter insolid (carving) on them.'
Images from Historic England Archive, c1948
Image shows Medieval stain glass - including angel - in original position. Image from Historic England Archive, c1948
Views of All Saints Church Great Addington
Date unknown, but taken after 1921 as clock was moved at that time. From Brian Duncan collection.
Date unknown. From Brian Duncan collection.
Circa 1955. From Brian Duncan Collection.
Circa 1990. From Brian Duncan Collection
One of two stone coffins alleged to have been found on Shooters Hill burial site and moved to the churchyard in mid-19th century. The one shown here is outside the church and is in poor state of preservation. The coffin is upside down. Note drain hole. The other coffin in within the church.
Second stone coffin, inside the church. Difficult to date but could be Romano-British or Anglo-Saxon. January 2021
Entrance to Henry de Vere's Chantry Chapel. The wooden screen is 15th century. The chapel now houses the pipe organ, 2021
Fragments of Medieval glass, 2021
Medieval Gargoyle, 2021
19th Century Etchings of All Saints Church Great Addington
All Saints, circa 1846 by George Aycliffe Poole
South Porch. Etching c1848
Detail of the tower windows
Tower detail etching c1848
John Bloxhams Memorial Stone
Font etching c1848
Date unknown, but prior to 1899 as clock was moved after this date.
From Brian Duncan Collection.
Date unknown, but clock now in new position so at some point after 1921. From Brian Duncan Collection.
Piscina in Chantry Chapel. 2021
Traces of Medieval paint on decorative detail of Piscina. 2021
Remnant of Medieval glass. This used to be in the Chantry Chapel overlooking Henry de Vere's effigy. See the 1948 Historic England Archive image showing original placement. 2021
Floor tiles. 2021
Unknown Coat of Arms. 2021
Wake family Coat of Arms. Robert de Vere married Margaret Wake around 1166. Through this marriage Thrapston came to be part of the de Vere's land holding. 2021
Stairway to Rood Loft. 2021
Letter from John Taylor & Co to the Dowager Vicountess Mary Isabel Downe
Invoice from John Taylor & Co to the Dowager Vicountess Mary Isabel Downe for the six new bells.
Nick Palmer of Great Addington has supplied much of the following information and associated images related to the bells of All Saints Church.
Thomas North's book, The Church Bells of Northamptonshire, printed 1878 by Samuel Clarke of Leicester, refers to Great Addington on pages 97 and 175.
In 1878 the bells are recorded as having the following inscriptions:
1st & 2nd Bell - W. ALLEN & T. COLSON CHURCHWARDENS R. TAYLOR St NEOTS FOUNDER 1807.
3rd Bell - MULTI VOCATA PAUCI ELECTI SETH PAUE WILLIAM FOE 1609
Which translates as "many are called, but few are chosen".
The 3rd bell was cast by Bellfounder Tobias (Tobie) Norris of Stamford. There is still a very old public house in Stamford called The Tobie Norris, the building dates back to 1280 and was owned by bell-maker Tobie Norris and made into a bell foundry.
The recasting and installtion of the 1st and 2nd bells is recorded by the Rev. James Tyley in the parish register in 1808.
January 1, Two out of the four bells in the tower of this Church being broken, they were recast by Mr. Taylor, bell-founder of St. Neots, Hunts, and put up this day.